Is Mould making you ill?

Black mould 2Mould sensitivity can cause a whole variety of symptoms from wheezing and asthma to depression, rhinitis (running nose) and joint pain.

Look around your house for visible signs of black moulds. Check window seals, kitchens (check the fridge/ freezer door), and behind large pieces of furniture, especially if they are on an outside wall.

Use bleach or borax powder (not borax substitute) mixed with a little water to scrub it away. If you're mould-sensitive wear a face mask and ventilate the room as scrubbing the affected areas will release mould spores into the air.

5 easy ways to reduce moulds...

1. Make sure your kitchen bin has a lid and put it in a cupboard e.g. under the sink.

2. Keep compost buckets outside, not on kitchen worktops.

3. Keep rooms warm and dry so mould is less likely to grow. Keep wet areas like bathrooms well ventilated - open the window after showering.

4. If you have to dry clothes indoors consider investing in a dehumidifier, or open the windows and regularly wipe down walls and furniture to reduce mould spores.

5. If you are supersensitive make sure nothing stays wet for more than 48 hours including cloths, mops, floors and clothes.

Testing for Moulds

Simple moulds tests are available online from allergy stores. As soon as you get them they need to be used within five days. The test is quite simply a petri dish that you leave in the room for one hour. For more details contact www.healthy-house.co.uk phone 0845 4505950.

Print